Some of you may remember my issues trying to grow a garden last year. One Border Collie to be exact. Well, we fixed it this year. We built framed lids then put coated chicken wire over the top. Hurray! It worked! I don't have much in the way of plants. Just a couple strawberry plants, carrots, corn, and two pumpkin plants. But they are "Big Max" pumpkins. Competition size. Should be fun. I'm not sure how the corn will do. My planters are 3x6 so I don't know if there will be enough corn for pollination. Maybe I should have just scattered the seeds over the whole box instead of attempting rows. Oh well, we'll see. So here are the pictures.
The boxes. Ignore all the grass in the plants down below. We're going to redo the whole thing once we figure what we want to put there, so I figure why bother right?
Box #1 with lid open. Strawberries far end, carrots in the rest. They're still pretty small. The "soil" is compost from WSU. Seems kinda bark-y to me. I'm sure when I turn it this fall the stuff underneath will be much more soil-ish after 2 years.
And box #2. Corn and pumpkins at the far end. The pumpkins just came up. So excited, yet apprehensive about how big they're really gonna get.
2 comments:
I love your garden boxes!! :) They are bigger than I imagined and with 5 rows, (if I counted right), of corn growing you shouldn't have any problems with them cross pollinating, since it takes 4 rows for good pollination! :) I'll look forward to seeing future garden photos! :)
Yay!! I love raised beds! I just wanted to say that you really do have to start small--so you're on the right track. We've always overdone it and gotten frustrated and given up. So then we started doing JUST the things we knew we'd take care of and eat and it's gotten easier (and the garden has gotten bigger) every year.
Also, the book The Backyard Homestead absolutely ROCKS. Check it out, you won't be disappointed.
Post a Comment