Wednesday, January 11, 2012

What SAHM's Do All Day

This is a true conversation I had with my four year old on the way home from preschool today. It is as accurate as I can remember and still make sense. (meaning one part in the middle has been fudged a bit because I don't remember the exact words or how it went down)

Austin: Do you have a wipie (baby wipe, not sure how to spell that dang word.) in this car?
Me: Yes I do. (Almost dislocating my shoulder trying to reach it.)
Austin: Do Dads?
Me: Not as much
A: Is that because they just play with the kids all the time?
M: No, it's because they're usually at work while the moms are busy taking care of the kids.
A; No, stay at home dads.
*This is where it gets jumbled. it was something to this effect*
M: What do you mean? SAHD's just play with the kids all the time? (I remember the rest very clearly. Unfortunately.) What do SAHM's do?
A: Sit around. And clean the house. Are you a SAHM?
M: Yes I am.
A: But you go to work for a short... (here's he's trying to think of a word. I help him out.)
M: Yes, I kinda go to work just for a little bit. But I'm basically a SAHM. What do I do?
A: Sit around all day. And sometimes watch a movie.


Ok, since when do I just sit around all day? I'll admit, sometimes I'm on the computer too much (like when it's one of those days.) but I try really hard not to be, especially when they're up. Nap time: Fair game. And I never watch anything I want to when they're up because it's pointless. Between their noise and their wants and whines, you can't sit more than five minutes. And who wants to watch (not hear) a movie in 5 minute chunks? When they have a movie in, I spend that time cleaning because I can only handle their movies so many times. And  I would much rather scrub toilets and tackle laundry than watch most of them again.

No comments: