Thursday, February 10, 2011

Someday I May Be Pretty Again

These are some of the thoughts that go through my head on a typical day:

"I'll shower after I feed Sam breakfast. I'll shower once he goes down for nap. I'll shower after I clean up these toys. I'll shower after I do these dishes. Oh great, he's up already. I missed my chance to shower. I'll shower after Zach gets back from the gym. I'll shower after I pick Austin up from preschool. I'll shower after lunch. I'll shower during nap time. Dang it, Sam's up before Austin's down. Rats, Zach's leaving for work. I'll shower once Sam goes down again. I'll shower after I straighten up this mess. Now both boys are up and the day is basically over. It's not like I'm going anywhere anyway. I'll shower tomorrow."

Now don't get me wrong I make sure I get a shower at least every other day. Occasionally I will make it to the third day, but with my hair type, it's pretty obvious and I can't go any longer than that. On those days I think stuff like this:

"Ahh, it feels so nice to shower. Once I get out, I'm going to do my hair and maybe even put on a little makeup. Wow, this feels so nice and relaxing I don't want to get out yet. I better get out before the water gets cold. Just another minute or two. Ok, I really better get out now before this gets cold and ruins the whole thing. Dang it, Sam's up. I'll do my hair after I feed him. I better change his diaper now before I forget. My hair's dry now so I can't pull it up, I'll at least curl it when he goes down for nap. Oh shoot I forgot to curl my hair. Oh well, the day's over, I'm not going anywhere and I'm sure it's full of cereal now since he's into grabbing my hair every chance he gets. I really need to pull it back after my shower tomorrow."

And as for clothes, right now I consider jeans and my newest sweatshirt "looking nice." Of course, that's assuming there's no spit up on said sweatshirt. Otherwise, it's one of my older hoodies that's all ratty and falling apart around the cuffs. I do have a couple nice sweaters, but who wants to wear a sweater when you'll have to wash it absolutely every single time you wear it? I guess I could sport the age old perfume, La Mama Psychotica. It smells like spit up, sleepless nights, and robotic cookie cutter days. I'll admit, the sweaters look great. As long as I'm standing up and sucking in my gut. And standing just so. If I sit down it's all over. As in my gut is hanging out all over. And I can't move or the wrinkles I have strategically placed move to all the wrong places. The baby I put on my hip squishes all that hip fat to stomach and back fat, which I have plenty of to begin with, so... I think I'll stick with my jeans and "nice" sweatshirt for any public outings. For your sake as well as my own.

So until my kids are both out of the house and I lose this new body I found after delivery, let me just say if I shower and my clothes are spit up free, it's a great day.

4 comments:

Boyd Box said...

You are so cracking me up! Someone commented within the past year that my outfits were "starting to come together." I was appalled at the statement. Then, again, I realize that it's about at the year mark that I start dressing like a woman again instead of Robo-mom (with similar garb as you have described). I like looking like a woman, but there is definitely a TIME and place for that to happen...sans enfants.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorta laughing at you.
I personally think you look great. rob and I both think you are amazing for losing so much right after you had Sam.
Hey, I really only look good on Sunday, have you noticed??

Karla said...

I so remember those days. Will I ever get a shower today? Luckily now it seems it isn't so hard to schedule in. Hope you find the time and energy to get it all in. I have always wanted a few more hours in day to get it all done. Your doing great, I think the fact that you are worried about the shower says so much in itself. LOL I have seen those that don't seem to notice or care. Ugh! Don't stand by them in line. Hope you have a great weekend!

Steph said...

you speak to my heart!!!! Let me say, in absolute embarrassment, I actually made it almost a week once before I got a shower... I didn't even realize it had been that long! I end up having to take my showers at night after I put the boys to bed. So my head freezes in the winter.