Tuesday, October 26, 2010

My Road to the STP

I have always wanted to ride in the STP. (Seattle to Portland bike ride) I have just never gotten my butt in gear as far as training goes. Maybe the lack of bike has been a major factor in that. Before I got pregnant with Sam, my motivation to exercise and eat healthy was increasing. Once I found out I was pregnant, those motivations turned to the future and I hoped I would stay motivated beyond delivery. Carry through can wane when you're recovering from surgery and dealing with a newborn. Then I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and a great way to control blood sugar is diet and exercise. I became super motivated to make sure I took care of myself after I had the baby to avoid, or at least delay as much as possible, the onset of "real" diabetes. So that's where the STP comes in. What better way to make sure you stay motivated and on track than to have specific goal in mind with a concrete date. Wanting to lose weight by a certain date doesn't really work for me, so wanting to ride over 200 miles in July will hopefully keep me on track. Publishing my progress on here will keep me accountable knowing that everyone knows about it. Ok, so the 5 people that read my blog will know about it, but still.

So this is where I stand:
Started exercise program last week, diet this week. Hope to start riding soon, but it will have to just be at the gym until I can get a bike.
Weighed myself this morning. I need to lose 6.4 pounds to reach the high end of my target range.

That's all for now. I'm just at the beginning of it all, so hopefully I'll be able to get into some specific routines and workouts for training in the not too distant future. I plan on posting once a week to report on how well I worked out, stuck to my diet and how close I am to my goal weight range.

Oh, and if anyone wants to ride with me, I would love to have a group!

2 comments:

Maren and Blake said...

I will look at the dates. I don't know if I could fit in a marathon and a 200 mile bike ride within 2 weeks, but I will take a look at it.

Boyd Box said...

This would be so fun, but I don't think I'll be able to make it next year. I'll still encourage you, though!
Just about everyone I know is doing some kind of training for a run/ride or other such "competitions". I'm just a slacker and not doing any of it. Of course, right now my excuse is trying to sell a house, but the truth is: I'm too unmotivated to do anything more. =)