Thursday, October 9, 2008

Tales of a Toddler Mom

Here are some thoughts/short stories/whatever.

First, as we were eating dinner, Boomer came up and looked like he was thinking about jumping into my lap. Normally I like a nice warm cat in my lap, but not necessarily at dinner, and I realized that the past few times he has come up to me I have been fairly timid. The last time he jumped in my lap, I was at the computer and he was under the desk. I moved back to give him more room right as he jumped, resulting in a scratch several inches long down my leg, and torn pj pants. So, yes, today I realized I am afraid of my cat.

Speaking of dinner, it was mac and cheese again. Not because our cupboards are empty but rather because we've made everything using one of the main ingredients that we have in the past few days. I was feeling uncreative (is that even a word?) so M&C. I left the table and when I came back, all Austin's M&C was gone. I asked if it was all in his lap, and sure enough... I picked him up in the seated position and stood him up on the table. (We have carpet under the table.) All the stuff fell off making a squishy plip plop noise. It made me laugh. Here I am, standing my kid on the kitchen table brushing mac and cheese off his lap. What kind of mom am I??? Laid back, that's what!

And last, I saw my living room. A total disaster. Toys, clothes, and cracker crumbs everywhere. And you know what? It made me feel good inside. I liked it. It told me I have a wonderful little boy who will only be small for a little while. He is happy and healthy. We spend the day together playing, and I can quickly clean the room in a matter of minutes when he is asleep, rather than fighting it all day long and missing out on his wonderful smile.

4 comments:

The Yancey Family said...

I wish I could have the same calmness when the house is a mess. I get all flustered and end up missing out on so much. That's my new goal, prioritize!

Natalie said...

I've always hated messy houses, but messy houses with happy toddlers make me happy... it shows that mommy knows what's important.

Unknown said...

What a good mom. I need that attitude.

Matt said...

Maybe Austin had the right idea:

Instead of risking assault and torn pj pants from your cat, why not keep your lap warm with some fresh mac & cheese?

Safety first!