Austin, Dakota (the dog), and I headed out on Tuesday for the West Side. We stopped in Ellensburg for a diaper change and lunch. I decided to go McDonald's for the Play Place for Austin. They had one, but it was outdoors. Bummer. As we parked, there were two sketchy guys and a sketchy girl standing on the sidewalk. They eyed my car and I pretended to fiddle with stuff trying to figure out what I should do. The door doesn't lock, and I was loaded down with a dog, a kid, all the supplies needed for the three of us of a few weeks, plus three suitcases bound for Peru. The girl went inside and the guys walked away.I grabbed my purse, the diaper bag, and Austin and we headed inside, with three of the four doors locked.
I waited in line for the handicapped bathroom, hoping there was a changing table inside. Luckily, there was, but it was perpendicular to the wall, parallel with the toilet. Joy. I laid Austin down and he started fussing. And who can blame him when he's lying on a downhill slope with his legs hanging off the end. I give him the wipey container to play with and I start changing. Messy. Great. I get him cleaned up, notice there is some on the leg of his onesie and start working on that a little bit when plop! the wipey container lands in the toilet. Yay. I fish it out. (Ugh!) and give up on the onsie. I don't want to put a new diaper on Austin and get gunk on it, so I stand him up on the floor to take his shirts off. I'm working on that (The kid has a big head and his sweatshirt has a small hole) when he starts peeing on the floor. I give a little yelp and it shuts off the water works. I yank the shirts off, so he's naked except his socks and a fruit snack stuck to his chest (red.). And he starts peeing again, on my leg! I quickly get him diapered again, out his sweatshirt back on, try to mop up the huge puddles with toilet paper, rinse the wipey container in the sink and head outside.
The girl from outside (had been in the bathroom when I went in) was standing in the hallway. As I approach the 4Runner, one of the guys was standing behind it. RIGHT behind it. As in an inch or two from the bumper. I open the door, and put Austin inside. The guy looks around the side, gives me a weird grin, then ambles away. The girls also comes out about this time. I got into the backseat and got a change of clothes for Austin, got him dressed (and took off the socks) buckled him in, apologized for lack of running around time, and hit the drive through. There was no way I was going to back inside and give them time to steal my stuff.
Note: When I got to my parents' house, the wipey container hit the trash. I had to save it in case he needed changed on the way home, or I would have dumped it then.
2 comments:
Wow. Sounds like an adventure. I hate traveling by myself with the baby. It's such a pain! Glad you made it there safely!
Scary! Glad you made it ok! When do you head for Peru? How exciting? How was your Christmas?
Post a Comment